Family allowance

When are the family allowances payable?

Family allowances are transferred in the last week of the month for which they are due. The exact date may vary from month to month.

When is the back-to-school allowance paid?

The back-to-school allowance is paid at the same time as the August child benefits. Please note that if you are receiving the differential supplement, which is paid every 6 months, the back-to-school allowance will be included in the supplement for the months of July to December and paid in January. For more information on the differential supplement, please see 'I am a cross-border worker'.

I am a cross-border worker and my spouse works in Belgium, we live in Belgium. Where do I receive the child benefits?

In this case, the Belgian fund first pays its family benefits as a priority (and in principle monthly). The CAE will pay you the difference between the total Belgian benefits and the total Luxembourg benefits (except for the birth allowance) every six months. This is called the "differential supplement". These supplements are paid at the end of July/beginning of August for the period from January to June of a year and at the end of January/beginning of February for the period from July to December of a year.
You can find information about the differential supplement on this site in the "News" section.

What documents should I enclose with a new application for child benefits?

If you are a resident:

  • Birth certificate
  • A certificate of your bank details
  • A residence permit to stay in Luxembourg for all family members (for persons who have a non-EU, -EEE or non-Swiss nationality)
  • If you are seconded, please refer to the section "Secondment"

If you are not a resident:

  • Certificate of Residence
  • Household composition
  • Birth certificate
  • A certificate of your bank details
  • If benefits have been paid abroad: a certificate of entitlement to family benefits from the Fund which pays or last paid the benefits
I agree to report any changes that may affect my entitlement to family benefits to the CAE. But what information does the CAE need?

Since the entitlement to family benefits may be established on the basis of the child's legal domicile and actual residence, the professional activity of one or both parents, whether or not the child continues to study beyond the age of 18, the qualification of the studies, the interruption of the studies, the change of domicile of the child, etc., all these factors must be reported to the CAE.
Any amount unduly paid must be repaid to the Fund. If you have made false statements, you also risk legal action.

How long will it take to process my application?

The time it takes to process your application depends on the complexity of your situation. It may take between one and four weeks.

Temporary worker: why am I not entitled to child benefits? What conditions must I fulfil?

In principle, you must meet the same conditions as a cross-border worker. However, as your affiliation in Luxembourg is not continuous, you may not have worked enough days per month (half month + 1 day, i.e. 16 days for the month of May) to be entitled to the child benefits.


Do I have to send the original birth/marriage certificate or is a copy sufficient?

Copies are sufficient.

What documents do I need to send in for separation?

First and foremost, information about the separation.
 A judgment on the custody of the children (if any) should be attached, otherwise a certificate of household composition or a certificate of residence of the children in order to enable the CAE to determine the custodian of the children and therefore the person to whom the child benefits is to be paid.

How do I change my account number?

You send a letter and attach a certificate of your bank details with the account number and your name.

What documents do I need to send if I move?

A change of address can only be requested by post. For non-residents, they must be accompanied by a certificate of residence for each family member or an extended certificate of residence issued by the commune of residence. However, if you are a non-resident holder of a Luxtrust certificate, you can apply here to correct the data from the National Register of Natural Persons.

What do I have to do to get tax class 1A?

The CAE does not handle taxation. You need to contact the Administration of Direct Contributions directly.

I am a cross-border worker and I already receive the Luxembourg allowance. What do I do in case of a new birth?

You must complete a new child benefits application form for the baby and attach the birth certificate.

For French nationals: France does not pay anything for one child over 3 years old. In this case, Luxembourg pays the benefits monthly. As soon as your second child is born, your family's situation changes: France becomes a priority and you switch from monthly payments to the differential supplement. As far as the total amounts paid are concerned, there is obviously no change caused by the monthly or biannual form of payment. However, you must inform the two funds concerned of your change of situation.

I worked in Luxembourg in 2016, then I had a break. In 2017 I found a new job in Luxembourg. Do I have to create a whole new file?

No, not necessarily. It depends on how old the documents in your file are. First of all, please send the declaration of entry into the social security system, which is automatically sent to you by the Centre commun de la sécurité sociale, to our Fund so that your file can be reactivated.
Please note, however, that any interruption in affiliation, regardless of its duration, will result in the loss of the former "family group" that existed until 31 July 2016.

Last update